1. Are there any programs that are deliveredentirely in English?
---Yes. There are two undergraduate programs in English and sixteen graduate programs in English. For more details please go to https://study.tongji.edu.cn/English/ADMISSION/English_taught_programs/Undergraduate_Programs.htm
2. I am already a freshman student in another university in China. Is it possible for me to transfer to Tongji University?
--- We are sorry that we do not accept student transfer. You need to apply for Tongji University in the first instance.
3. Is there any application fee?
--- Yes. You can pay for your application fee in ONE of the following three ways:
1) Online payment: Download the application form, and when you see an “application fee” button, click it and then follow the instructions to complete your payment.
2) Bank transfer: Transfer the fee to the following bank account:
Beneficiary: Tongji University
Beneficiary Bank Account No.: 433859245525
Beneficiary Bank: Yangpu Sub-branch of Shanghai Branch, Bank of China
3) Pay in person: Make your payment in person at our office when you submit the original copies of your application.
4. Can I pay the application fee in US dollar?
--- Yes. You need topay in USD the equivalent amount of CNY 410 at the exchange rate of the day you make the payment.
5. I have already paid the application fee, but the status of my online application still shows “application fee to be paid”. What shall I do?
---You may attach your receipt or a copy of it to your application materials and send them to our office either by post or in person.
6. When shall I submit my application?
--See the following table for the deadlines of different programs:
|4 Mar —10 June||Undergraduate/ Graduate programs|
|10 Sep —30 Nov
15 Mar —30 May
|Throughout the year||Chinese language program and Foundation program|
1) A completed Application Form;
2) A photocopy of passport (personal information page);
3) A photocopy of high school graduation certificate or certificate of expected graduation or senior high school diploma (if not in Chinese or English, along with an original notarized translated version)
4) Original or notarized transcript (if not in Chinese or English, along with an original notarized translated version)
5) A photocopy of New HSK certificate
--- Level IV,min. 180 for Science and Engineering programs; min. 200 for Architecture, Management & Economics, and Medicine programs).
---Level V,min. 180 for Liberal Arts and Fine Arts programs
---Level III,min. 180 forBachelor of Arts program in Chinese Language
6) Three paintings (2 sketches and 1 watercolor) for Architecture, Urban Planning, Landscape Studies, and Design programs;
7) Other supporting materials (such as award certificates, foreign entrance examination transcripts, university admission notice, etc.);
8) Additional materials if required.
8. What documents do I need to submit along with my application for graduate programs?
1) A completed Application Form;
2) A photocopy of passport (personal information page);
3) A Photocopy of both graduate certificate and degree certificate or certificate of expected graduation (if not in Chinese or English, along with original notarized translated versions);
4) Original or notarized transcript (if not in Chinese or English, along with an original notarized translated version);
5) A photocopy of New HSK certificate;
--- Level IV, min. 180 for Science and Engineering programs; over 200 for Architecture, Management & Economics, and Medicine programs);
--- Level V, min. 180 for Liberal Arts and Fine Arts programs;
6) Two original recommendation letters;
7) Personal statement (1,000 words for Master programs; 1,500 words for doctoral programs);
8) List of published papers including abstracts, and/or other proofs of academic competence;
9) Certificate of full-time employment experience (three years minimum) for MBA programs;
10) Letter of Approval from a professor of Tongji University, if applicable;
11) Additional materials if required.
9. I am a student from Russia, and all my certificates and academic transcripts are in Russian. Can I translate them into English or Chineseby myself before I submit them? --- All documents submitted for application MUST be in English or Chinese. If the originals are not in Chinese or English, they should be notarized by local Chinese Embassy or local Chinese Consulates (or foreign embassies or consulates in China).
--- Yes. If the originals are not in Chinese or English, they should be notarized by local Chinese Embassy or local Chinese Consulates (or foreign embassies or consulates in China).
10. Do you have special requirements on personal art works，e.g. subject or theme?
--- You must submit three paintings (2 sketches and 1 watercolor) for Architecture, Urban Planning, Landscape Studies, and Design programs, but we do not set restrictions on the themes.
11. I am a student in an international school. Can I apply for Tongji University with IB score?
--- Yes, you are welcome to apply for Tongji University, but keep in mind that your IB transcripts can only be used as supporting documents. You still need to submit ALL other application materials.
12. Do I still need to submit hard copies after applying online?
---Yes. You may submit your original documents either in person or ask somebody else to do it for you. You may also mail them to us (see our mailing address below). All the documents MUST be delivered before the deadline, otherwise your application will be canceled automatically.
Contact person: Yan WANG
International Students Office
1239 Siping Road
Shanghai, P.R. China
13. How can I obtain a conditional offer?
--- Sorry, Tongji University does not make any conditional offer.
14. Is there any interview for applicants?
--- Interviews are usually not required, but there might be exceptions.
15. When and how can I know the result of my application?
---Please follow your application status on the online application system. Once you are admitted, your admission status will change, and then the admission notice letter will be posted in two weeks.
16. May I defer my admission once admitted?
---No. We don’t accept deferred admission.
17. How can I apply for my visa？
--- You need to apply for an entry visa of X1 (long-term study) or X2 (short- term study) at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country. The application documents include your admission letter, the yellow sheet of JW201 or JW202 form, your medical report and other necessary documents.
18. How can I apply for residence permit in China after entry?
---After the visa application, remember to retrieve your admission letter, the yellow sheet of JW201 or JW202 form and other necessary documents for the application of residence permit in China after entry. For more information, please visit the following URL:
19. What is Tongji University’s agency number?
20. Are there any scholarships available for application?
---Yes. Both undergraduate and graduate students may apply for scholarships.
Information of scholarships are available at Scholarships. You may also visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/ for Chinese Government Scholarships (CGS), and http://apply.study.shmec.gov.cn/ for Shanghai Government Scholarships (SGS).
21. Is there any scholarship available for one-year Chinese language program?
---Yes. You may apply for Chinese Government Scholarship. Please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/ for details. More information of scholarships is available at Scholarships.
22. When and how do I know the result of my scholarship application?
---The winner list of scholarship students will be released in late June or early July on the website https://study.tongji.edu.cn/English/HOME.htm.
23. Is there any age limit on scholarship applicants?
--- Yes. See the following table for the age limits for different programs in different scholarships.
|Chinese Government Scholarship||N/A||N/A||35||40|
|Shanghai Government Scholarship||23||25||35||40|
24. After I submitted my application for Shanghai Government Scholarship, I found a mistake. Can I cancel the previous application and resubmit it online?
--- Yes. But you will have to contact our office via e-mail at email@example.com, or ring us at 0086-21-65983611. We will remove your application before you can modify or resubmit your application.
25. If I fail the scholarship application, will the university admit me as a self-financed student?
--- Yes, when you have met the entry requirements.
26. I am already in China now. Which scholarship will you recommend to me？
--- We recommend Shanghai Government Scholarship. If you are on Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS) program now, CGS is available to you one year after you graduate from a university.
27. Is on-campus housing guaranteed?
--- It is guaranteed only for scholarship students (both Chinese Government Scholarship and Shanghai Government Scholarship)
28. What will my room look like?
--- Please visit Campus Life for more information abouthousing.
29. Do you have canteens on campus?
--- Yes. We have canteens of different food styles on campus. We are pleased to share that Tongji is reputed for its great food in Shanghai and even in China. Please go to Campus Life for more information about canteens at Tongji.
30. Can I work while I am on a scholarship?
--- No.It is illegal for international students to work on a student visa.